quarta-feira, 4 de junho de 2008

Primavera Sound: the 31st of May

The day started with the antecipation of Scout Niblett's concert, but first it was time for indie-folk's darling man BON IVER show off his album 'for emma, forever ago'. His live performance, accompained by a wonderful drummer and skilled guitarist was identical to the album but had much more intensity and the vocal harmonies they conjured for the concert were haunting. They even covered Bright Eyes and sang some of the most beautiful tracks on the album.
Then it was time for the one concert i could not miss, the concert i've been dreaming about for so so long: SCOUT NIBLETT. She arrived on stage shy and she left shy, but in the meantime left me completely gobsmacked and more in love with her music, if that's possible. With the help of a great steady drummer (she even tried her luck in the drums) and her powerful guitar chords, she sweeped her entire repertoire, from the new songs ('nevada', 'kiss', 'do you wanna be buried with my people' or 'let thine heart be warmed') to some older songs like 'kidnapped by neptune' or the overwhelming 'hot to death') showing who's got the goods. Last time i've been this moved was in Shannon's Wright concert, but where Shannon is depressive and dark Scout can find a bit of dark humour; she actually did a quick cover of TLC's 'scrubs' lol which I don't think many people recognized because they didn't laugh at all. I had the goosebumps throughout the concert and it was my favourite concert of the whole festival. I want to see her again, it's a necessity:)
After Scout I was in the mood for something a bit softer, so we ran away from OKKERVIL RIVER, a band that I really admire and went on to see SILVER JEWS. Their concert was good fun and songs like 'sometimes a pony gets depressed' e 'i'm getting back into getting back into you' from their latesta album got the party going with its mix of country and rock. Their founding father was as awckward as I would have expected, throwing t-shirts at people (yes lol), and the bassist ( I think it's Cassie Berman) is fresh out of the rodeo in a pink killer dress lol. Stephen Malkmus, the other founding father or the Silver Jews was playing at the same moment an acoustic set and would eventually play later on with The Jicks.
After Silver Jews, I stayed at the ATP stage to see KINSKI, who blew me away with a sound that somehow mixes Sonic Youth and My Bloody valentine together and sounded completely fresh. Again (today was the day for girls on bass), the bassist was tremendous and their mostly intrumental songs were very well worked on and everyone was rocking hard . When the singer stepped up for the challenge it was very pleasant and so I vote this to be my favourite discovery of the festival.
After Kinski I walked around a bit and couldn't fight the urge to check my dearly beloved RUFUS WAINRIGHT for a few songs, because I used to love him right until after POSES came around. Both want one and want two albums gradually ended my fascination with Rufus and got me hooked into his much more folky and delicious father, Loudon. Anyway, I got there just in time to listen to my two favourite songs on Poses, Cigarettes and chocolate milk and California (I'd already seenhim play once and he didn't play california) and end the set with a very peculiar version of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' which I thought was a bit off. But that's just me.
DEERHUNTER was next and this time the lady was behind the guitar! Their fabulous album Cryptograms was translated into great punk attitude and the concert had enough energy to send all the people there to the moon and back. Great concert, great audience.
While my friend rocked it out to the sound of Steve Albini's SHELLAC, I found myself listening to the terrible 808 state, the founders of that terrible thing that is acid house from the 80's... really guys, you should have stayed there!
And then to end the festival, who else but ANIMAL COLLECTIVE? They did a marvellous set, with songs entertwined perfectly. The audience went bananas with songs like 'People' and although the concerts kept on going for quite some time, this was the official ending of a marvellous festival.
Now see you in FIB Madrid, for Siouxsie, Morrissey and MBV:)
Cheers*

Sem comentários: